St Paul's CE Academy

"Where love and learning meet."

Psalm 32:8  I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go I will counsel you with my loving eye on you.

SEND Offer

Local Offer- St Paul’s Church of England Academy Nursery


How does the setting know if children need extra help and what should a parent do if they think their child may have special educational needs?


Your child’s Key Person is responsible for making observations and assessing progress towards the Early Learning Goals described in the EYFS. They will identify the interests and next steps in learning for all their key children, and share this with parents. If the Key Person has concerns about your child’s learning or development, they will in the first place discuss this with you, and together you can decide how best to proceed to meet your child’s needs. At this point they may also get support from the setting’s SENCo (Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator) to document the support they are providing, and the progress your child is making in a Setting Based Support Plan. They may suggest making a referral to one of the specialist services. If you have any concerns about your child’s development you should in the first place raise them with your child’s Key Person.


How will early years setting staff support my child?


 If no other support services are working with your child:- your child’s Key Person, supported by the setting’s SENCo will plan a programme of support for your child and monitor their progress.


If a specialist support service is working with your child:- your child’s specialist worker will liaise with their Key Person and the setting’s SENCo to ensure that the setting are able to follow the programme of support being suggested for your child. 


In both cases:- The Key Person will keep you informed about how they are supporting your child, so that you are able to co-ordinate your support for your child at home, and may suggest activities you can do with your child. They will welcome your feedback about how your child is doing and use this to inform the support they provide.


All practitioners in the setting will be aware of the support your child is being given and will work with your child in the same way that they do with all children in the setting.


How will the curriculum be matched to my child’s needs?


We always provide a range of activities and resources for all children to play with. Staff, and in particular a child’s Key Person, will be aware of the planned next steps in learning for all children and this will inform the support they give children as they play. Some activities will be planned that will contribute directly to specific children’s next steps in learning.


 If your child has very specific support needs, for instance requiring specialist equipment or use of Makaton, we work with specialist services to ensure that we are able to meet these needs. Your child may have an Setting Based Support Plan that provides more detail about the learning and development targets for your child, and strategies that will be used to support this. This will be shared with you, and we will meet regularly to review progress.


How will both you and I know how my child is doing and how will you help me to support my child’s learning?


Informally, you will exchange information with your child’s Key Person about your child’s achievements, interests and needs on a daily basis. More formally, you will have regular opportunities to meet with your child’s Key Person to review their progress, discuss next steps in learning and what we will and you can do to support this progress. This is the case for all parents/children.


We undertake regular assessment of your child’s progress and share this information with you. This is in addition to the two year old check completed for all children at age two, the Summative Assessment on Transition to School that we complete and share with you and your child’s school, and the Early Years Foundation Stage Profile (completed by the school at the end of the reception year.


Your child’s Key Person will ensure that you are always aware of your child’s learning and development targets, what we are doing to help them achieve them and what you can do at home to assist this. They will discuss with you the best time/way to share this information, and to share information about progress.


What support will there be for my child’s/young person’s overall well being?


We have policies and procedures for administering medicine, managing personal care and managing behaviour positively that will be discussed with you when you first discuss a place for your child. We follow national and local guidelines of best practice, but will also endeavour to ensure that the particular circumstances and needs of your child are considered when planning for their care.


Each child is allocated a Key Person before they start, we will then arrange an 'initial visit' where you and your child can meet together with the Nursery Manager and your Key Person. This is where we will discuss any concerns/ needs your child may have and how we can support. Your child's happiness during their first days with us is extremely important and we will explain how they will be supported through this transition. 


What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the setting?


The Nursery Manager at St Paul's has experience of supporting staff to work with children with additional needs and is familiar with the referral process for specialist support services such as ISEND Early Years Support Service, Services for children with Sensory needs, Children’s Integrated Therapy Services. Our Nursery Manager is also a trained Early Years SENCo who provides resources for practitioners and families with delivering additional support for children in our setting. 


What training are the staff supporting children and young people with SEND had or having?


Some practitioners have also attended specialist training in supporting children on the Autism Spectrum. Practitioners are familiar with basic Makaton signs, and use these in their interaction with all children. We also use visual symbols and a visual timetable with all children in the setting. Experience and training of our practitioner's include: Cerebral palsy, Autistic Spectrum Disorder and Makaton Signing. 


How will my child be included in activities outside the setting including trips?


Whenever we plan a group outing from the setting we undertake a risk assessment, and give parents information about the outing and our risk assessment when we contact them to request their permission.


When the outing involves a child with additional needs, we will discuss how the child’s needs can best be met with their parents/carers at the first stage of planning so we can adapt our plans if necessary.


How accessible is the setting environment?


All areas of our setting are accessible to those in wheelchairs or with unsteady gait, however one fire exit has two steps to exit from one of our garden areas. There are good sources of natural daylight, tube, bulb and LED lighting. We also have a cosy area where the lighting can be dimmed. 

Our toilets are sized for small children. A disabled toilet is available in the reception class area in the hallway. We have a nappy changing unit with steps up to it. Children maybe changed on the floor. We will discuss your preference for use with your child before they start.


If your child requires specialist equipment that is not easily transferable from home each day, we can approach the Local Authority for support in loaning or purchasing the required equipment – if the use is recommended by your Occupational Therapist or other medical professional.


We are able to invite interpreters to the setting or have documents translated. Otherwise we use pictures and signs to communicate.


How will the setting prepare and support my child to join the setting, transfer to a new setting or the next stage of education and life?


We have a settling in policy and procedure. Each child is allocated a Key Person when they start, and they will arrange an 'initial visit' before your child starts, to get to know you and them, and to ensure they are aware of your child’s needs and interests, and of how you meet these needs at home. They will also discuss with you our settling in procedures, and how you want to manage your child’s first days at the setting.


If your child leaves us to attend a different pre-school setting, we will be happy to meet staff from that setting, and pass on the records we have kept of your child’s progress if you would like us to. Otherwise, we will give the records directly to you.  


When we know which school your child will be attending, we will begin to liaise with them about your child’s needs and what strategies we have found effective in supporting your child at pre-school. We complete a Summative Assessment on Transition to School which we share with you and then pass on to the teacher at the school your child will be attending.


How are the setting's resources allocated and matched to children’s special educational needs?


The income we receive from the Local Authority for early years education (EYEE funded places) and from parents for additional hours of childcare is used to cover the costs of providing our service. We do not allocate money directly in relation to individual children except if they are in receipt of EYPP.


How is the decision made about what type and how much support my child person will receive?


We are guided by the specialist professionals working with your child as to the type and support your child receives. This support will be described in the child’s Setting Based Support Plan – which will be written in conjunction with parents and all professionals working with the child.


How are parents involved in the setting? How can I be involved?


We will always invite you to join us when we review your child’s progress and set new targets – and will try to ensure that we hold meetings at a time when you are able to attend.


We offer events throughout the year where families can come and see their child/children in actions, whether it be playing in mud or getting creative.


We conduct Parent Voice to get views on the service we offer in order to make improvements.


Who can I contact for further information?


Your child’s Key Person would normally be your first point of contact for any discussion about your child. However, you may also approach the SENCo. The noticeboard in the entrance gives names and roles of all staff, alongside their photograph.


You can also email us on


For initial enquiries about our setting, you can email us or phone 01424 424530 op.5 and ask to speak to the  Nursery Manager.


You can get other information about services available locally by contacting Information For Families on 0345-6080192 or by texting them on 07797 870317 or by going to the website